Saturday, January 30, 2010

How to fix PPTP MiniPort driver on XP, win2k, NT

I had the misfortune of having to install the FortiGate VPN client recently. It worked perfectly, but managed to screw up my PPTP to the point where I couldn't use PPTP any more... It somehow even deleted my Verizon Wireless card driver as well.

After much hunting, I came across this solution which fixed it:

HELP NEEDED: how to restore WAN Miniport (PPTP) device - Windows NT / 2000 / XP

Just in case it gets removed, the actual relevant section is:

1. Download devcon.exe from some Microsoft site. You can google for it.

2. Open netrasa.inf in c:\windows\inf (c:\winnt\inf on win2k I guess)

3. Look for the section [Msft.NTx86]

4. In the DeviceID column, you can see the installable devices.

5. Run this command to install the WAN Miniport (PPTP):
devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PptpMiniport

6. You can install the other devices similarly. I think you will need MS_L2tpMiniport, MS_PtiMiniport, MS_NdisWanIp, MS_PppoeMiniport additionally

In my case, only the PPTP miniport was required.

No comments: